Football and malaria

We got invited to support 2 football teams of children, so what a better way to start the weekend. And before that breakfast with chapati, pineapple and tea of course. 😉
So I went to the Kyabirwa primary school with the other 4 volunteers staying at Mama Flo’s. Surprisingly we arrived just on time, but no sign of the match even after 40 mins.

Well, let’s try to show off our skills then, we got involved in a no-rules no-goals match, where everybody was trying to run after the ball and get it. The oldest child was not more than 8.
One of the youngest was really unbelievable, it might have been 5 years old but he was playing incredibly well and -no surprise- he was way more fit then me!

We were having a lot of fun, but particularly here things can suddenly change.

At a certain point we spotted Junior who suddenly looked like very week and serious feeling like to sleep. Initially we thought he was just tired, but he didn’t really interact all. Something very unusual for children here.
We decided to walk him to the closest clinic, the one next the Soft Power Center. Stopping at his house first, we let his mum known about him. She seemed not worried at all and it’s been necessary to insist to get him to the health clinic.
-As already experienced in the Budondo clinic a couple of days ago, awareness and knowledge of any health related problem is a big issue here.-
Got at the clinic. I hope we didn’t skip the queue because we were mzungu, but for the malaria symptoms Juniors had.

The small clinic looked much better than the one in Budondo due probably to its size and the link to Soft Power. There is a consultation room, a visiting room, a lab and a pharmacy. Everything in about 50 sqm.
One of the 2 doctors, James, checked his temperature and started the test to detect malaria. It’s very easy to check it out and the result were ready in matter of minutes.
Junior is malaria positive.
One of the most common strain here in Africa and luckily not the worst one. Malaria can kill; if diagnosed early can be relatively easy to cure: an initial injection was needed and then 2 pills twice a day, every 12h for 3 days in a row.

James was great in explaining and answering the million questions I had.
Supplies for the clinic are relatively good, antimalarial arrives directly from the US as well. Normally they buy drugs from India or Germany. The first is cheap but drugs are sometimes infected, the latter is more expensive and safe. Depending on the funds available they choose the one or the other.

I’ll be back in the clinic to meet James again, it would be great to get more insights on how things go and, why not, have a small photo project about the health clinic as well.
We are also going to check how Junior feels in the next couple of days. After the injection he looked much better already.

It was so cool to see him awake and smiling again.

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *